Tax Information Authorization
Beginning January 1, 2018, we have a new formal relationship, the Tax Information Authorization (TIA). This relationship allows a taxpayer to grant a specific person (TIA representative) permission to obtain their limited confidential tax information.
A TIA relationship does not authorize the representative to act on a taxpayers behalf before FTB to resolve their tax issues. For the right to act on their behalf, a taxpayer needs to file a Power of Attorney (POA) Declaration.
Establish a TIA Relationship
A TIA relationship can be established:
- Online – Tax Professional with MyFTB account: With a taxpayer’s permission and a few shared secrets, a tax professional can add a taxpayer as their client in MyFTB.
- Mail – FTB 3534, Tax Information Authorization, designating their TIA representative:
Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 2828
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-2828
The TIA forms include:
- FTB 3534, Tax Information Authorization:
- FTB 3535, Tax Information Authorization Revocation:
The TIA relationship will remain in effect until either:
- The expiration date, which is 13 months from the date the TIA is signed or client added in MyFTB.*
- FTB 3535, Tax Information Authorization Revocation is filed.
*No notification will be sent to the taxpayer or TIA representative when the TIA relationship expires.
Tax Professionals with a MyFTB account can renew any time 90 days after the relationship is established and more than 10 business days prior to the expiration date.
It is the taxpayer’s responsibility to revoke their TIA when they are no longer working with a representative.
Representatives no longer representing a taxpayer should revoke that TIA to ensure they do not receive confidential information they are not entitled to access.
To revoke a TIA once it becomes active, use one of the following methods:
- Online in MyFTB, initiate a Secure Chat - This is the fastest way to revoke a TIA.
- Mail - FTB 3535, Tax Information Authorization Revocation
- Contact us
If the TIA relationship is not yet active, contact us by phone.
Tax Practitioner Hotline
MyFTB Registration Assistance
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Feedback received: Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
Last Updated: 02/09/2018