California Public Records Act
The PRA gives you access to public records we maintain unless they’re exempt from disclosure by law. This may include written or electronic information.Government Code 6250 et seq.
We are exempt from disclosing certain public records or portions of public records.
Here is a partial list of exempt documents:
- Personnel, medical, or similar files for FTB employees
- Tests questions and scoring keys for employment exams
- Preliminary drafts of documents not retained by us
- Records pertaining to pending litigation
What you can request
By law, we may provide access to our public records that are not exempt, such as:
- Limited Business Entity (BE) information, including:
- Exact corporate title
- Filing date of last tax return
- Total balance due
- Exemption Application (FTB 3500) for business entities that were granted exempt status
How to request public records
Submit your request for public records to our Disclosure Office by email, fax, mail, or phone:
- (916) 845-4849
- Franchise Tax Board
Disclosure Office, MS A-181
PO Box 1468
Sacramento CA 95812-1468
- (916) 845-3226
Weekdays, 7 AM to 5 PM
What to expect
Generally, within 10 days, we’ll determine whether we have the information you requested and if we can disclose it to you.
We may charge 10 cents per page whether we provide paper or electronic copies.
You may also request to view public records in person. Contact us to schedule an appointment, so that we can prepare the records for you. We do not charge a fee for this service, but we do charge a fee for making copies.