How to e-file Tax professionals
Filing an e-file return is much like filing a paper return:
- Prepare your client's tax return or stand-alone electronic funds withdrawal (EFW) payment as you normally would
- Individual e-file only - Before you transmit their return, your client must sign the applicable forms:
- California e-file Return Authorization for Individuals (FTB 8453)
- California Payment for Automatic Extension and Estimate Payment Authorization for Individuals (FTB 8453 PMT)
- California e-file Signature Authorization for Individuals form (FTB 8879)
- California Electronic Funds Withdrawal Payment Signature Authorization for Individuals and Fiduciaries form (FTB 8879 PMT)
- Transmit the returns or stand-alone EFW payments to the FTB
- Retrieve your acknowledgment (ACK) files. They're available within 24 to 48 hours. They tell you either:
- We accepted the return or stand-alone EFW payment
- We found an error
- Correct any errors and retransmit the return
- Individual e-file only - Record the date we accepted the return or stand-alone EFW payment on the corresponding FTB 8453, FTB 8453 (PMT), FTB 8879, or FTB 8879 (PMT) form(s). Keep the form for 4 years from the return due date or for 4 years from the filing date, whichever is later.
Visit Handbook for Authorized e-file Providers (FTB 1345) for more information.
Visit e-Signature Options for e-file to learn about electronic signature options.
Help with acknowledgment (ACK) files
Processing errors with individual e-file
When an error occurs in the initial processing of a return or stand-alone EFW payment, we will:
- Reject the return
- Provide information about the error in the ACK file
- This information includes the error, form or schedule impacted, and number of times the error happened (for multi-page forms and schedules)
|Business Rule||Description||Tips to fix error|
|Electronic Signature (PIN) Taxpayer's Prior Year AGI does not match FTB records.||Double check the Taxpayer's Prior Year AGI from last year's CA tax return or sign the e-file return using form FTB 8453/8453-OL.|
|Taxpayer SSN or Spouse SSN has been previously used on an e-filed return.||To avoid sending duplicate returns, do not retransmit an accepted California return when retransmitting a corrected federal return.|
|F540-960||The Taxpayer claimed an amount for Individual Shared Responsibility Penalty on Form 540, Line 92 but did not attach the Form 3853.||Attach the completed Form 3853 in XML.|
If you're unable to resolve the error, please contact your software provider for assistance.
Missing ACK files
- Contact your transmitter for assistance
- If you transmit directly to FTB, contact us