Electronic funds withdrawal EFW
Electronic funds withdrawal (EFW) allows you to make a tax payment from your checking or savings account when you file electronically (e-file).
To use EFW, you must file through either:
- Tax preparation software
- A tax professional
Visit File online for a list of tax software, or find an authorized e-file provider.
CalFile does not allow you to schedule EFW for estimated tax payments. To avoid penalties and interest, schedule your payment before the payment due date.
What you can pay
With EFW, you can:
- Pay tax return balances when you e-file
- Make a standalone payment after you e-file
- Pay estimated and extension tax
Standalone EFW payments
If you want to make a payment separately from your e-filed return, you can submit a “standalone” payment. The following payment types are available:
- Individual and fiduciary
- Business entities (corporations, limited liability companies (LLC), partnerships)
- Annual tax
- Estimated LLC fee
What you need
To use EFW, you will need the following information:
- Banking information
- Routing number
- Checking or savings account number
- Your payment or withdrawal amount
- The date you want the funds to be automatically withdrawn
How to use EFW
When you (or your tax professional) complete your tax return:
- Choose EFW to make your tax return payment or schedule your estimated tax payments for the next tax year
- Provide your banking information when prompted; the amount you want to pay, and the date you want the amount to be withdrawn
- The system creates an electronic debit request and sends it to your bank account for processing on the designated payment date
- We will withdraw that amount on the date you selected
- Exception: if the debit date is a non-banking day, such as a weekend or holiday, the amount is withdrawn on the first business day following the non-banking day
You cannot change banking information, the EFW amount, or the requested debit date once we accept your request.
EFW error tables
|We find the error and reject your e-file return or standalone EFW payment||You or your tax professional must:
|You find an error after we accepted your e-file return||Correct the error by e-filing an amended return.
Visit form and instructions for additional information about filing an amended return.
|You find an error after we accepted your standalone EFW payment||You may cancel the payment by calling our e-file help desk at 916-845-0353 at least 2 working days before the scheduled date of withdrawal.|