Help with withholding orders

How to stop garnishments or other levies

The most effective way to stop garnishments or other levies is to pay in full. After you have paid, contact the number listed on your order. Have your payroll, bank, or other payor fax number prior to calling.

Tax payments

Visit Payment options to make a tax payment.

To pay nontax payments

I was issued a levy in error

If you believe a levy was issued in error, call the number on the order to provide us the information. If we determine the levy was issued in error, we will release the levy. If we determine the levy was due to our error, we can reimburse you for charges incurred.

To request reimbursement for charges incurred for a levy that was released as issued in error, you must write to us within 90 days of the notice date. State the following in your letter:

  • The error was caused by an FTB error
  • The charges were the result of FTB’s error
  • You paid the charges and they were not otherwise waived or reimbursed
  • You responded and provided information and documentation we requested to resolve the account

Mail your letter to the address on the letter you received.

We will respond to your written request within 30 days of receipt.

How much we can collect per order

The type of order we send will decide how much we can collect per order.

Wage garnishments (Earnings withholding orders)

The following orders can collect up to 25% of your pay until your balance is paid in full.

  • EWOT
  • EWO

Visit the payment amount table for more information.


These orders will collect 100% of all assets available or the entire balance due, whichever is less.


These orders can collect for 12 consecutive months or until the balance is paid in full, whichever comes first. The amount collected for each payment will be:

  • 25% if you're an individual
  • 100% if you're a business entity

I cannot pay what's due

Financial hardship (modification of your garnishment or levy)

We may modify your wage garnishment or other levy if you have a financial hardship.

To discuss a financial hardship, call us at the phone number shown on your letter.

We cannot reduce the total balance due.

Before you call:

Have your payroll, bank, or other payor fax number available in case we modify your garnishment.

What if I'm in bankruptcy

If you’re in bankruptcy, contact us regarding the effect on the order.

What if the asset is social security income or belongs to a third party

  • Call us if you only get paid social security income or you believe the asset is not your property.
  • We’ll review your account to determine the appropriate course of action.
  • Use the number on the letter from your bank or employer to contact us.