Nonrefundable renter’s credit
You may be able to claim this credit if you paid rent for at least 1/2 the year.
Check if you qualify
All of the following must apply:
- You paid rent in California for at least 1/2 the year
- The property was not tax exempt
- Your California income was:
- $42,932 or less if your filing status is single or married/registered domestic partner (RDP) filing separately
- $85,864 or less if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er)
- You did not live with someone who can claim you as a dependent
- You or your spouse/RDP were not given a property tax exemption during the tax year
What you'll get
- $60 credit if you are:
- Married/RDP filing separately
- $120 credit if your are:
- Head of household
- Married/RDP filing jointly
How to claim
File your income tax return.
Use one of the following forms when filing:
- California Resident Income Tax Return (Form 540) line 46
- California Resident Income Tax Return (Form 540 2EZ) line 19
- California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return line 61
Visit Nonrefundable Renter’s Credit Qualification Record for more information.