Nonrefundable renter’s credit


You may be able to claim this credit if you paid rent for at least 1/2 the year.

Check if you qualify

All of the following must apply:

  • You paid rent in California for at least 1/2 the year
  • The property was not tax exempt
  • Your California income was:
    • $50,746 or less if your filing status is single or married/registered domestic partner (RDP) filing separately
    • $101,492 or less if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er)
  • You did not live with someone who can claim you as a dependent
  • You or your spouse/RDP were not given a property tax exemption during the tax year

What you'll get

  • $60 credit if you are:
    • Single
    • Married/RDP filing separately
  • $120 credit if you are:
    • Head of household
    • Married/RDP filing jointly
    • Widow(er)

How to claim

File your income tax return.

Use one of the following forms when filing:

  1. California Resident Income Tax Return (Form 540) line 46
  2. California Resident Income Tax Return (Form 540 2EZ) line 19
  3. California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Form540nr) line 61

Visit Nonrefundable Renter’s Credit Qualification Record for more information.