Entity Status Letter
Check the status of an entity and print an entity status letter for free.
To certify your letter, go to one of our Field Offices or contact us by:
What is an entity status letter?
It verifies whether or not an entity is in good standing with us and provides certification for:
- Legal status in court proceedings.
- An outstanding liability that could have an effect on an entity's credit rating (e.g., the closing of escrow).
- Verification of an exempt status.
- Registering a corporation or LLC to transact business in another state.
It does not reflect the entity's status with other agencies.
Types of entities
You can request an entity status letter for the following:
- Exempt organizations
- Financial institutions
- Limited liability companies (taxed as corporations, partnerships, or disregarded entities)
For other types of entities, get a Certificate of Status from the California Secretary of State for a fee.