Business transfers

A business transfer is when you sell all or some of your business assets, which may include:

  • Liquor license
  • Business name
  • Business equipment (computers, client lists, tables, chairs, etc.)

Your business must be in good standing in order to enter into any business transactions or contracts, such as the sale of business.

When you’re trying to sell your business and/or liquor license and you owe tax debt, we can:

  • Issue an Order to Withhold
  • Request the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) to place a hold on your liquor license
    • This notifies ABC to stop the transfer of your liquor license
  • Issue a Demand notice for any liens we have on your business property


Check your business status with the California Secretary of State Business Search.

If your business is suspended or forfeited, visit My business is suspended.