Notice of Proposed Assessment Your tax audit
Upon completion of the audit, we mail a Notice of Proposed Assessment (NPA) to you if you owe additional:
This notice is not a bill. Your balance due will become a bill if you take no action by the protest by date. If you agree with the proposed amount, pay your NPA.
If you disagree with the audit findings, you can file a protest by the protest by date shown on the front of the NPA. You have 60 days to protest.
Filing a protest will not stop the accrual of interest on the NPA. To stop the accrual of interest, pay your NPA balance in full within 15 days of the notice date.
For more information about the NPA process, review the following:
- Individuals: Personal Income Tax Notice of Proposed Assessment Information (FTB 7275)
- Businesses: Business Entity – Notice of Proposed Assessment Information (FTB 5830C)
Pay your NPA
- Web pay
When making your payment online, choose one of the following payment types:
- Notice of Proposed Assessment
- Pending Audit Tax Deposit Payment (form FTB 3576)
Determine if you’re required to pay online (Mandatory e-pay or EFT) to avoid additional penalties.
Before you mail your payment:
Write your full name or business name, identification number, and the applicable tax year on your payment. Make your check or money order payable to Franchise Tax Board. Include a copy of your NPA with your payment.
- Mail: Individuals
- Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942867
Sacramento CA 94267-0008
- Mail: Businesses
- Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942857
Sacramento CA 94257-0531
If you plan to:
- Protest the NPA within the period on your notice
- Make a tax deposit payment to stop the accumulation of interest
Then include one of the applicable forms below with your payment:
- Individuals: Pending Audit Tax Deposit Voucher for Individuals (FTB 3576)
- Corporations: Pending Audit Tax Deposit Voucher for Corporations (FTB 3577)
- Limited liability companies: Pending Audit Tax Deposit Voucher for Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) (FTB 3578)
- Limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, and REMICS: Pending Audit Tax Deposit Voucher for LPs, LLPs, and REMICs (FTB 3579)