2021 Health Care Mandate Subsidy ReconciliationMarch 2022 Tax News
Follow-up article for a Public Service Bulletin posted on our website January 14, 2022
Taxpayers who received CA Premium Assistance Subsidy (PAS) for health care coverage for 2021 may have to pay back some or all of the amount received when filing their 2021 CA tax return.
- On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act increased the amount of federal Premium Tax Credit for taxpayers for all of 2021.
- By receiving additional federal subsidies, many taxpayers no longer qualify for the state subsidy they received and therefore must pay this amount back with their tax return.
- Taxpayers who received CA PAS from Covered CA will receive the California Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (FTB 3895).
- Taxpayers must reconcile their CA PAS received on Premium Assistance Subsidy (FTB 3849) when filing their 2021 tax return.
- All taxpayers who received CA PAS must file a tax return regardless of filing requirement thresholds.
- If the taxpayer’s subsidy reconciliation results in a balance due, they can contact FTB to request repayment assistance after filing their tax return and receiving a bill for the balance due. Options are available on the “If You Cannot Pay” web page on the ftb.ca.gov website.
For additional information about FTB Subsidy Reconciliation.