Court-ordered debtApril 2022 Tax News

If your client owes money to a California court

If an individual owes money to a California court and the balance is not paid, it may become court-ordered debt. Courts may send the debt to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) for collection. FTB may collect money from your paycheck or bank account to satisfy the debt.

If you do not agree with the debt, paid the debt, served time (like community service), or have other questions or issues regarding the balance due, you must contact the court or county listed on the notice.

Individuals should contact FTB if:

  • Your wage garnishment or bank levy is causing a financial hardship
  • The letter you received doesn’t belong to you
  • You want to give us permission to discuss your account with your representative

Employers should contact FTB if:

  • The social security number on the notice does not match your employee’s
  • You have questions about wage garnishment
  • FTB records show you did not make a garnishment payment, and you mailed the payment more than 60 days ago.

Tax representatives would need to complete an FTB 3520, Power of Attorney Declaration to discuss their client’s account without the debtor on the call. This form can be submitted through:

MyFTB login


POA/TIA Unit Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 2828
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-2828

To contact FTB Court-Ordered Debt:

Court-Ordered Debt
Weekdays, 8 AM to 5 PM