Adjust your wage withholding Resident withholding
You want to make sure you have the right amount of income tax withheld from your pay.
- Need to withhold more money from your paycheck for taxes, decrease the number of allowances you claim, or have additional money taken out.
- Need to withhold less money from your paycheck for taxes, increase the number of allowances you claim.
- Only need to adjust your state withholding allowance, go to the Employment Development Department (EDD) website and get Form DE 4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Need to adjust both your federal and state withholding allowances, go to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website and get Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
After you determine the forms needed:
- Use the calculators to determine the number of allowances you should claim
- Complete the forms and give them to your employer to make the changes
Forms & publications
- Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- IRS Publication 505 (2017), Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax