What form you should file


To determine what form you should file, you first need to determine your residency. Before you decide check out your online filing options. Filing online gets you the fastest refund and reduces errors. Tax software chooses the right form for you.


You're a resident if either apply:

  • Present in California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose
  • Domiciled in California, but outside California for a temporary or transitory purpose

Part-year resident and Nonresidents

If you lived inside or outside of California during the tax year, you may be a part-year resident.

A nonresident is a person who is not a resident of California.

File Nonresident or Part-Year Resident (Form 540NR).

Part-year and Nonresidents