Extension of E-Signature Option for Paper Returns, Statute of Limitations Waivers, and Other DocumentsPublic Service Bulletin
December 29, 2021
Purpose of bulletin
To inform staff and the public that:
- The temporary e-Signature option for taxpayers or their representatives to submit signed paper returns and other documents has been extended from December 31, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
- The temporary e-Signature option for taxpayers or their representatives to submit signed statute of limitation (SOL) waivers has also been extended from December 31, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
Paper Returns and Other Documents
For paper returns and other documents that normally must be signed with an original signature, FTB will not require an original signature through June 30, 2022, except for Power of Attorneys (POAs).
We will accept two signature alternative methods for paper returns:
- Method 1: An attached document that must be included with the filed return that provides a copy of the original signature. The attached document should:
- Identify what the document signature is for (Example: Corp XX, 2021 Form 100)
- State “Refer to the attachment for a copy of the original signature” on the signature line
- Method 2: A paper return with a faxed signature on the signature page.
For all other documents, except POAs, filed with us that normally require an original signature, we will accept documents with photographed or digital copies of required signatures.
You can also upload a document with a signature into MyFTB. Please note that only PDF and Excel documents are currently accepted.
Statute of Limitations Waivers
On FTB’s COVID-19 webpage, we advised taxpayers or their representatives that they could submit signed SOL waivers to the FTB by one of the following methods:
- Fax the SOL waiver to FTB with a handwritten signature
- Email a copy of the SOL waiver with a handwritten signature to FTB from a verified email address
- Upload a scanned copy of the SOL waiver with a handwritten signature to the taxpayer’s MyFTB account
- Upload a scanned copy of the SOL waiver with a handwritten signature to cloud storage and provide FTB staff the link to download the waiver
- Utilize a third party service, such as DocuSign, for their Electronic Signature solution.
We previously announced this temporary e-Signature option was available through December 31, 2021.
These temporary procedures that are available through June 30, 2022, do not apply to filing a POA. Follow the procedure on FTB’s Submit a power of attorney webpage if you need to submit a POA.
For additional information on special tax relief related to COVID-19, please go to the FAQ page here.