Payment plans Installment agreement
Can't pay your tax bill and want to get on a payment plan? You can apply for an installment agreement.
If you apply for a payment plan (installment agreement), it may take up to 90 days to process your request. Typically, you may have up to 3 to 5 years to pay off your balance.
- It will cost you $34 to set up an agreement (added to your balance).
- You’ll receive an acceptance letter in the mail with payment details.
While we process your request, you should still make your payments to:
- Avoid more interest and penalties
- Prevent this balance from being sent to collections or your wages garnished
You may be eligible for an installment agreement if:
- Amount due is less than $25,000
- You can pay the amount in 60 months or less
- You’ve filed all your income tax returns for the past 5 years
You can’t apply online if you have a:
- Current installment agreement with us
- Wage garnishment (earnings withholding order)
- Bank levy (order to withhold)
- Other collection orders (warrant, continuous order to withhold)
Instead, give us a call to apply.
You may have to submit a financial statement for approval. A tax lien may be a condition of your arrangement.
- Installment Agreement Request
If you can't pay your tax bill in 90 days and want to get on a payment plan, you can apply for an installment agreement. It may take up to 60 days to process your request. Typically, you will have up to 12 months to pay off your balance.
If approved, it costs you $50 to set-up an installment agreement (added to your balance).
Outside the US
- Limited liability companies