Charities and nonprofits Business type

If you have a charity or nonprofit, you may qualify for tax exemption. Tax-exempt status means your organization will not pay tax on certain nonprofit income.

Your organization must apply to get tax-exempt status from us.

Check your account status

Find out if your account with us is active or suspended:

We provide account status information for current exempt organizations. Account status information is updated weekly.

Apply for or reinstate your tax exemption

There are 2 ways to get tax-exempt status in California:

1. Exemption Application (Form 3500)

  1. Download the form
  2. Determine your exemption type, complete, print, and mail your application

Limited Liability Companies may become exempt if owned and operated by an exempt nonprofit and have proof of accepted Entity Classification Election (IRS Form 8832).

2. Submission of Exemption Request (Form 3500A)

If you have a federal determination letter:

  1. Download the form (If your status was revoked, you cannot use this form)
  2. Complete, print, and mail your request with your federal determination letter to:
    Exempt Organizations Unit MS F120
    Franchise Tax Board
    PO Box 1286
    Rancho Cordova CA 95741-1286

What happens after you apply

  1. We’ll review your information to verify if you qualify. It may take several months to process your application
  2. If we need more detailed information, we’ll contact you
  3. If approved, you’ll receive a grant letter

Rush request

Nonprofit organizations may qualify for rush processing in limited circumstances. A rush request can be submitted if you meet all of the following:

  • You’re in good standing
  • You want exemption under 23701d (501(c)(3))
  • Have a pending and verifiable grant of $3,000 (or more) and required to be tax-exempt to receive the funds


  • You're suspended and in legal action (court records must be provided)

Additional items that may be required when requesting a rush:

  1. Completion of the Exemption Application (FTB 3500) or Submission of Exemption Request (FTB 3500A)
  2. Fees:
    • $40 if you are not suspended
    • $56 if you’re suspended
  3. File any missing returns
  4. Pay any outstanding balances
  5. File the Statement of Information with the Secretary of State
  6. File with the Attorney General's Office, Registry of Charitable Trusts, if applicable

Contact the Exempt Organizations Unit for information on how to submit a rush request.

Contact Us

916-845-6500 (outside the U.S.)
Weekdays, 7 AM to 4:30 PM
Closed state holidays
Exempt Organization Unit MS-F120
Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 1286
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-1286