Strategic plan 2021-2025
Our mission is to help taxpayers file timely and accurate tax returns, and pay the correct amount to fund services important to Californians.
- Protect the privacy and security of data entrusted to us.
- Carry out our fiduciary responsibilities to taxpayers by managing their accounts with accuracy and financial integrity.
- Operate with transparency to maintain public trust and confidence.
- Conduct our business in accordance with the Statement of Principles of Tax Administration, Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights, and our organizational values.
- Lead with Integrity and Inspiration: As inspirational leaders, we are committed to pursue the right path, ignite ideas and innovation, communicate clear expectations, and invite everyone to maximize their potential every day.
- Bring Our Best: By bringing our best we exemplify honesty, credibility, and accountability. We value staff and encourage them to bring their best every day.
- Deliver Excellent Products and Services: Quality is best achieved through collaboration with our customers and each other. We deliver excellent products and services that meet the needs of our customers.
- Contribute to a Caring Community: We encourage mutual respect, kindness, and teamwork. This creates a supportive work environment that appreciates diversity and allows all of us to flourish in the community we work and live in.
- Become Experts at What We Do: We are motivated to continually improve and grow. We take advantage of tools and opportunities to develop in our chosen career path.
Goals and Strategies
- Exceptional Service - Strive to continuously enhance our customers’ experience
- Evaluate customer experience needs across all service channels; develop and implement solutions to meet those needs.
- Champion an organizational culture to achieve positive customer experiences.
- Educate our customers on the use of multi-channel services and information to improve their experience.
- Effective Compliance - Fairly administer the law to ensure taxpayers file and pay the correct amount
- Identify noncompliant segments and implement campaigns to improve compliance.
- Improve data, information, and knowledge sharing with the tax community and government partners.
- Improve case selection and timeliness in all compliance programs.
- Strong Organization - Value, invest in, challenge, and empower our employees to have an enterprise view, be experts in their field, and achieve their full potential
- Continue to cultivate and enhance Talent Management services, which help us to attract, develop, engage, and retain our employees.
- Increase employee engagement and job satisfaction by continuing to assess and enhance culture, focusing on diversity and inclusion, valuing employees as individuals, and celebrating employee achievements.
- Support an environment where decisions are made at all levels by those who have both the expertise and best information.
- Welcome, solicit, and value input and ideas from anyone in the organization.
- Recruit and retain a high-performing workforce that leverages our state’s rich diversity and promotes inclusion.
- Operational Excellence - Optimize our processes, products, services, and resources to better serve our internal and external customers
- Manage budgeted resources at the enterprise level and use performance metrics to meet short- and long-term business needs.
- Validate and utilize data, as authorized, to make decisions and improve business operations.
- Leverage and modernize IT systems and processes to support and improve business and administrative activities.
- Mitigate emerging and evolving threats to manage risks and protect customer privacy and security.
- Standardize and modernize our hardware and software to optimize operations.
- Strengthen physical security to ensure the protection of our employees and mission critical operations.