Tax Assistance - Ask Tax Questions
In addition to finding answers on our website, you can email us with your non-confidential income tax questions.
If you are having technical problems with FTB's website (e.g., bad links, etc.), please email FTB's webmaster. Before emailing FTB's Webmaster about problems downloading forms, please read the FAQ's about downloading forms from FTB's website.
Warning: DO NOT include any confidential data (e.g., social security number) in your email messages.
Automated Toll-Free Phone Service
Our automated service is available in English and Spanish to callers with touch-tone telephones. You may call our automated service at 800.338.0505 or 916.845.6600 (not toll free), 24 hours a day, seven days a week to:
- Hear recorded answers to questions about California taxes.
- Personal Income Tax forms may be ordered for the current year as well as the two previous years (e.g. 2015, 2014, 2013).
- Business Entity Tax forms may be ordered for the current year from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
on Saturdays. We may modify these hours without notice to meet operational needs.
See instructions for using the automated toll-free phone service for a list of available forms.
- Find out about your current year Personal Income Tax refund – Wait at least eight weeks from the date you mailed your tax return or two weeks from the date you filed electronically. You may also check your personal income tax refund on our website.
- Check your current balance due, verify current year estimate payments and view other recent payments – You may also check your balance due or view your payments on our website.
Taxpayer Services Center
Telephone assistance is available from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. We may modify these hours without notice to meet operational needs.
- Call 800.852.5711 from within the United States, or 916.845.6500 (not toll-free) from outside the United States.
- For hearing impaired with TDD, call 800.822.6268 and follow the text prompts.
- For Federal tax questions, call the IRS at 800.829.1040 and follow the prompts.
We can serve you quickly if you call us for assistance. However, you may want to write to us if you are replying to a notice we sent you, or to get a written reply. Be sure to include your social security number, your daytime and evening telephone numbers and a copy of the notice with your letter. Send your letter to:
Franchise Tax Board
P.O. Box 942840
Sacramento, CA 94240-0040
We will acknowledge receipt of your letter within four to six weeks. In some cases, we may need to call you for additional information.
Help us improve our website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later