e-file for software developers and transmitters
How to participate
To participate in the California e-file Program as a software developer or transmitter, you must:
- Apply for the IRS Electronic Filing (e-file) Program. We'll receive your account information within 2 weeks after the IRS accepts you into their program
- Have an approved IRS electronic filer identification number (EFIN) and electronic transmitter identification number (ETIN)
- Be sure to update any information changes with the IRS. We'll automatically receive any updates you make to your IRS account
You must pass our yearly participant acceptance testing system (PATS). See Test Package for e-file of California Tax Returns and Stand-Alone Payments (Pub. 1436X).
If you send submissions directly to FTB, you must pass a communication test (Pub. 1436X) using software that has been PATS approved.
You must tell us:
- Which software product you will use
- The names of all the software products you will use (if more than 1 product is used)
e-file Return and Stand-Alone Payment Guides
Valid XML schemas
List of forms we accept by e-file:
Memorandum of agreement (MOA)
As a commercial vendor, you may request a presence on our website. If approved, we'll provide a hyperlink to your service.
MOA Program Coordinator
- (916) 845-7524
Scheduled system maintenance
5 AM to 7 AM (PT)
If you get a transmission error during this time, please try again after 7 AM.
We'll email you if our system is down (outside scheduled maintenance) for longer than 1 hour.