Frequently Asked Questions
About the Pilot
- How did the ReadyReturn Pilot work?
- Who could participate in the ReadyReturn Pilot?
- Why did FTB conduct the ReadyReturn Pilot?
For the ReadyReturn Pilot, we:
- Selected a limited number of taxpayers.
- Invited them to participate in the pilot.
- Provided a completed tax return with information we already had.
- Explained how to participate and what to do if they didn't want to use ReadyReturn.
- Allowed them to make changes to their return.
- Provided a way to e-file the return.
Taxpayers who received a ReadyReturn:
- Reviewed the letter and return they received.
- Could choose to ignore the invitation.
- Must have made any necessary changes to the return before filing it.
- Could file the return on paper or via our website.
Only selected taxpayers were able to participate in the ReadyReturn Pilot. Taxpayers could not request to participate in the Pilot. This was to ensure the statistical validity of our Pilot.
Selected taxpayers received an invitation by mail. The invitation contained all of the information taxpayers needed to participate, including:
- How to view the return online.
- How to make changes.
- How to get the refund deposited directly into a bank account.
- How to e-file the return..
- What to do if they didn't want to participate.
Our goal was to make it easier for taxpayers to file tax returns.
Since we already receive information directly from taxpayers and from employers, we could pre-fill that information on a tax return. For taxpayers with simple returns, we could simply do the math and look up the tax amount. All the taxpayer needed to do was verify the information, make any necessary changes, and sign and submit the return.
In announcing the ReadyReturn Pilot, State Controller Steve Westly said, "Filling out a tax return is a pain in the neck. This pilot program will give taxpayers a choice, and a chance to spare themselves the hassle and the headache that come with tax paperwork."
Is there something wrong with this page?
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Feedback received: Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
Last Updated: 05.10.2018