Flash - IRS Penalty Relief for Delayed 2012 IRS Forms
April 26, 2013
On March 20, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) published Notice 2013-24, providing relief from the failure to pay penalty to taxpayers who filed for an extension and were affected by the delayed publication of certain IRS forms for the 2012 tax year. California will provide a similar relief process.
Franchise Tax Board will grant relief from the California failure to pay penalty (also known as the underpayment and monthly penalty) for reasonable cause, if the taxpayer:
- Showed a good faith effort to properly estimate and pay the tax by the original due date of the return.
- Fully paid any tax owed on the return is fully paid no later than the extended due date of the return.
When responding to our Statement of Tax Due, the taxpayer should fax (recommended) or mail us a letter which includes:
- Reference to Notice 2013-24 in the subject line of the fax or letter.
- Description of the taxpayer’s eligibility for this relief.
- A copy of the eligible (delayed) form filed with their federal return.
- Copy of our Statement of Tax Due.
We recommend that you fax your relief request to:
- Reference Notice 2013-24 in the subject line of the fax
Individuals mail their request to:
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO, CA 94240-0040
Business entities mail their request to:
PO BOX 942857
SACRAMENTO, CA 94257-0500