Tax News
State Controller’s Unclaimed Property

California's Unclaimed Property Law requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, and insurance companies (referred to as "Holders") to annually report and deliver property to the State Controller's Office after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law. The most common types of unclaimed property are:

  • Wages and commissions.
  • Vendor payments.
  • Bank accounts and safe deposit box contents.
  • Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and dividends.
  • Uncashed cashier's checks and money orders.
  • Certificates of deposit.
  • Matured or terminated insurance policies.
  • Estates.
  • Mineral interests and royalty payments.
  • Trust funds and escrow accounts.

Back to January 2013 Tax News