Tax News
Ask the Advocate

Steve Sims, Taxpayers' Rights Advocate.

New Form for Requesting Relief from the Advocate

As promised, form FTB 3705, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Equity Relief, is now available online.

Use this form to request relief from interest, penalties, and fees that are attributable to any of the following:

  • Erroneous action or erroneous inaction by FTB in processing documents filed or payments made.
  • Unreasonable delay caused by FTB.
  • Erroneous written advice that does not qualify for relief under R&TC Section 21012.

The Taxpayers’ Rights Advocate may only grant relief under R&TC Section 21004 if your client did not contribute to the error or delay in any significant way and relief is not otherwise available under the law, including under any regulation or FTB announcement.

Steve Sims, EA
Taxpayers’ Rights Advocate

Follow me on Twitter at

Back to April 2013 Tax News