A record-breaking filing season
FTB had a very successful filing season in 2006. Thank you for helping to make it possible.
Filing and paying
- As of July 15, 2006, taxpayers filed 14 million personal income tax returns, up two percent from last year.
- E-filing was a popular option - nine percent ahead of last year, with
8.3 million returns e-filed.
- Sixty-one percent of all PIT returns filed so far this year have been e-filed.
- FTB issued 9.1 million personal tax refunds amounting to $7 billion.
- The volume of refunds issued this year is 1.7 p ercent higher than last year.
- The average refund issued this year is $800 compared to $750 for last year.
- Direct Deposit of refunds was another great success, up 12 percent
over last year at 3.7 million.
- In total, 40 percent of all personal income tax refunds were deposited directly into bank accounts.
Personal income tax revenue reached record highs this year, with $11.7 billion received in April alone. The combination of personal income tax revenue, and bank and corporation tax revenue surpassed $33 billion, also setting a record for January through June 19, 2006.
"How may we help you?"
- During the filing season, our call center answered 848,000 calls,
down 19 percent from last year.
- On April 17, 2006, customer service agents answered 20,276 calls from 7:00 a.m. to midnight. Eight hundred calls came in after 8:00 p.m.
- The total volume of calls reaching our automated Interactive Voice Response system reached 3 million this year.
- Our tax practitioner hotline answered 107,000 calls, down 11 percent from last year.
Call volume decreases indicate that more taxpayers and practitioners are visiting our Website for tax help.
Welcome to our Website
- 5.5 million visitors have stopped by our Website so far this year.
- Top visited Web pages are:
- Forms and Publications.
- Get Your Customer Service Number.
- 2005 Forms, and Refund Status.
- Five million tax forms and schedules were downloaded.
- We implemented e-filing for simple corporation returns in January
- As of July 15, 5,242 business e-file returns were received.