Chat with an FTB Representative

Tax News
e-file News


The April 17, 2006, deadline to timely pay has come and gone. If you have clients who still have not paid, encourage them to try one of our online payment options. Your clients can use WebPay, for example, and arrange with us to debit their checking or savings account to pay any FTB bill, including current and past tax liabilities, current-year return payments, estimated tax payments, and extension payments. WebPay is available free of charge on our Website at Click on payment options or search for WebPay. Your client will need a CSN to use this service.

Your clients can also make credit card payments by using their Discover/NOVUS, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express Card. This service is available through (Please note: Official Payments Corporation charges a fee for this service.)

If you have clients with financial hardship who cannot pay their taxes in full, they can apply online to make monthly installment payments, if they meet the following criteria:

  • Owe a balance of $10,000 or less.
  • Agree to pay their account in 36 monthsor less.
  • Have filed all required personal income tax returns.
  • Agree to pay by electronic funds transfer.

FTB is also conducting an installment agreement pilot program for cases with balances of $25,000 or less that can be paid in 60 months or less. For more information on the pilot program, please contact us at (800) 689-4776.

For more information on credit card or installment payments, click on payment options or visit our Website and search for payment options.

e-file extension

You can still e-file your clients' California individual tax returns during the automatic six-month extension period following the April 17 deadline. We accept both refund and balance due returns through October 16, 2006.

Your clients must have paid any taxes owed on or before April 17, 2006, to avoid penalties and interest. If they have not paid, they can reduce penalties and interest by making an electronic payment now. For more information, please refer to the e-payment information above.

If you are not yet an approved Electronic Return Originator (ERO) and want to e-file your clients' tax returns, you must first enroll with the Internal Revenue Service. Once you have your Electronic Filer Information Number (EFIN), complete and submit California e-file Program Enrollment Form (FTB 8633) online. For more information, go to our Website at and search for join e-file or click on FTB 8633.

IRS e-Services

The IRS has scheduled a series of free phone forums qualifying for Continuous Education (CE) credit explaining how to use their e-Services. For more information and to register, please check their California event schedule.

Email to a friend