2017 Individual e-file Calendar
November 14, 2016
FTB begins accepting test transmissions (PATS Testing)
Testing will begin upon release of the Test Package for e-file of California Business, Fiduciary, and Individual Tax Returns and Stand-Alone Payments (FTB Pub. 1436X).
January 3, 2017
First day to transmit live current year returns
April 18, 2017*
Last day to transmit timely-filed returns
*Due to the federal Emancipation Day holiday observed on April 17, 2017, tax returns filed and payments mailed or submitted on April 18, 2017, will be considered timely. If the balance due is not paid by this date, penalties and interest may apply.
California state personal income tax returns have an automatic six-month extension date for timely filing.
All taxes owed must be paid by April 18. If the balance due is not paid by April 18, penalties and interest may apply.
April 25, 2017
Last day to retransmit rejected timely-filed returns
October 16, 2017
Last day to transmit timely filed current year returns on extension.
October 23, 2017
Last day to retransmit rejected current year returns filed on extension
December 31, 2017
Last day for EROs and transmitters to retain acknowledgment file material for returns e-filed in 2016
Remember: For each return an ERO files, the ERO must retain the return for four years from the due date of the return or for four years from the date the return is filed, whichever is later. If the ERO uses any of the following forms, they must keep the form with the return for the same period of time:
- California e-file Return Authorization for Individuals (form FTB 8453)
- California e-file Return Authorization for Fiduciaries (form FTB 8453-FID)
- California e-file Signature Authorization for Individuals (form FTB 8879)
- California e-file Signature Authorization for Fiduciaries (form FTB 8879-FID)
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
MyFTB Learn more
- e-file for Tax Professionals
- Individual e-file for Tax Professionals
- Software for Tax Professionals
- e-file Forms and Publications
- News & Updates
- e-Programs Customer Service
- Individual e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Individual e-file Calendar
- Fiduciary e-file
- Fiduciary e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Fiduciary e-file Calendar
- e-file Enrollment Requirements
- Paperless Schedules K-1
- Business e-file
- Business e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- 100/100S/100W e-file Calendar
- 199 e-file Calendar
- 565/568 e-file Calendar
- Software Developers/Transmitters