2016 Individual e-file Calendar
November 12, 2015
FTB begins accepting test transmissions (PATS Testing)
Testing will begin upon release of the Test Package for e-file of California Business, Fiduciary, and Individual Tax Returns (FTB Pub. 1436X).
January 4, 2016
First day to transmit live returns
April 15, 2016*
Last day to transmit timely-filed returns
*Due to the Emancipation Day holiday on April 16, 2016, tax returns filed and payments mailed or submitted on April 18, 2016, will be considered timely. If the balance is not paid by this date, penalties and interest may apply.
California state personal income tax returns have an automatic six-month extension date for timely filing.
All taxes owed must be paid by April 15. If the balance due is not paid by April 15, penalties and interest may apply.
April 23, 2016
Last day to retransmit rejected timely-filed returns
October 17, 2016
Last day to transmit timely filed current year returns on extension.
October 24, 2016
Last day to retransmit rejected current year returns filed on extension
December 31, 2016
Last day for EROs and transmitters to retain acknowledgment file material for returns e-filed in 2016
Remember: For each return an ERO files, the ERO must retain the return for four years from the due date of the return or for four years from the date the return is filed, whichever is later. If the ERO uses either the California e-file Return Authorization for Individuals form (FTB 8453) or the California e-file Signature Authorization for Individuals form (FTB 8879), they must keep the form with the return for the same period of time.
MyFTB Learn more
- e-file for Tax Professionals
- Individual e-file for Tax Professionals
- Software for Tax Professionals
- e-file Forms and Publications
- News & Updates
- e-Programs Customer Service
- Individual e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Individual e-file Calendar
- Fiduciary e-file
- Fiduciary e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Fiduciary e-file Calendar
- e-file Enrollment Requirements
- Paperless Schedules K-1
- Business e-file
- Business e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- 100/100S/100W e-file Calendar
- 199 e-file Calendar
- 565/568 e-file Calendar
- Software Developers/Transmitters