California Business e-file Program - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is e-file for Business returns?
- Do I need to enroll in the California Business e-file Program?
- Do I need to re-enroll if I am currently an ERO for Individual e-file?
- Am I required to e-file my Business return?
- What are the benefits of Business e-file?
- Can I e-file all my business returns?
- Can a business e-file 52-53 week, short period, or final tax year returns?
- Will FTB require that the federal return accompany the state return?
- What are the signature requirements for Business e-file?
- Will I notice a difference in my transmissions of business tax returns?
- Where can I get software to e-file business returns?
- Can I transmit business returns directly to FTB?
- Can business entities without a California identification (ID) number e-file their return?
- Do I need to complete PATS testing if I will transmit business returns directly to FTB?
- If our corporation develops our own tax preparation software, does it need to be approved by FTB?
- Will FTB include more business forms for next tax year?
- How can I get the latest e-file information?
1. What is e-file for Business returns?
Business e-file is filing business tax returns electronically using a computer, software, and web-based communication. You can e-file Forms 100, 100S, 100W, 100X (Corporations), Form 199 (Exempt Organization), Form 565 (Partnerships), and Form 568 (Limited Liability Companies).
2. Do I need to enroll in the California Business e-file Program?
No. Separate e-file registration is not required for Electronic Return Originators (EROs) to participate in the California e-file Program. Get more information.
3. Do I need to re-enroll if I am currently an ERO for Individual e-file?
No. Current individual e-file participants are automatically enrolled in the Business e-file Program.
4. Am I required to e-file my Business return?
Yes. Effective January 1, 2015, for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2014, California law requires business entities that prepare an original or amended return using tax preparation software to electronically file (e-file) their return to us. The law applies to business entities and preparers who file the return on a business entity's behalf. Get more information.
5. What are the benefits of Business e-file?
Business e-file benefits include:
- Proof of receipt - Generally within 24 to 48 hours you receive acknowledgement that FTB has accepted your client's return for further processing.
- Accurate returns - The error rate for paper returns is approximately 10 percent, while e-file returns have an error rate of less than 1 percent.
- Opportunity to correct errors - The e-file program checks returns for common error conditions before we process them. This provides you the opportunity to correct the return and avoid a notice.
- Business rule explanations - Explanations that pinpoint the location of the error in the return.
- Year-round return filing - Because many business returns are filed using a fiscal year calendar, the Business e-file system is available year-round.
- Safe - We use the latest technologies to ensure the security and privacy of all taxpayer information. Our Internet filing service uses the industry standard 128-bit Secure Socket Layer encryption.
6. Can I e-file all my business returns?
We accept FTB Forms 100, 100S, 100W, and 100X including Combined Reporting, as well as the FTB Form 199, 565, and 568 and more commonly used forms and schedules. See our complete list of acceptable forms and schedules.
7. Can a business e-file 52-53 week, short period, or final year returns?
Yes. Business e-file will accept 52-53 week, short period, and final FTB Form 199, 100, 100S, 100W, Combined Reports, 565, and 568 returns.
8. Will FTB require that the federal return accompany the state return?
Generally, we require that the federal return accompany the state return. We do not require, however, that the IRS first accept the federal return. Your software provider will give you instructions on how they transmit the federal return.
9. What are the signature requirements for Business e-file?
Unlike the IRS, FTB does not offer an electronic signature option for our Business e-file Program. The business taxpayer, ERO, and paid preparer must sign the California e-file Return Authorization form (FTB 8453-C, FTB 8453-P , FTB 8453-LLC or FTB 8453-EO) prior to the transmission of the e-file return. This form may be retained by the preparer or business taxpayer according to the rules of our program or scanned and included as an attachment to the business e-file return. Do not mail this form to FTB.
10. Will I notice a difference in my transmissions of business tax returns?
No. The difference should be transparent to you. You will continue to complete and send returns to your software provider according to their instructions.
11. Where can I get software to e-file business returns?
We provide a listing of approved e-file software developers on our Website. You can also contact our e-file Customer Service at 916.845.0353.
12. Can I transmit business returns directly to FTB?
It depends on the software you use. Contact your software company to see if they provide software that will allow you to transmit directly to us.
13. Can business entities without a California identification (ID) number e-file their return?
Yes. There are two options to e-file for entities that are not registered with the California Secretary of State (SOS).
Business Entities without a California ID
We accept returns without a California ID for tax years 2014 and forward. The entity should provide an explanation in lieu of a number, such as “Applied for” or “Foreign Non-US”. Check with your software provider to make sure they support this feature.
Business Entities Assigned a California ID
If a business entity previously filed a return without a California ID number and they have not registered with the SOS, we will assign an ID number to use on future returns, payments, and documents. We will send a letter to the business entity advising of the assigned id number. To determine if we assigned a California ID number, contact us:
800.852.5711, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except state holidays.
916.845.6500 (outside U.S.)
California Relay Service
711 or 800.735.2929
TTY (Device to Device)
14. Do I need to complete PATS testing if I transmit business returns directly to FTB?
Yes. To transmit business returns directly to FTB you must complete PATS testing. For more information about PATS testing, review FTB Pub. 1436X, 2015 Test Package for e-file of California Business, Fiduciary, and Individual Tax Returns.
15. If our corporation develops our own tax preparation software, does it need to be approved by FTB?
Yes. If you develop and use substitute, paperless Schedule K-1 (565 and 568), and reproduced tax forms, you must complete and submit Form 1096, Agreement to Comply with FTB Pub. 1098 and conform to Pub. 1098, Annual Requirements and Specifications for the Development and Use of Substitute, Scannable, and Reproduced Tax Forms.
16. Will FTB include more business forms for next tax year?
We are exploring adding more forms to our program each year. Stay tuned for the latest information on what's new for business e-file by joining our Subscription Services (See #16 below).
17. How can I get the latest e-file Information?
You can join our Subscription Services. Get the latest information on Business e-file, Individual e-file, e-Services, seminars, and processing developments important to tax professionals.
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
MyFTB Learn more
- e-file for Tax Professionals
- Individual e-file for Tax Professionals
- Software for Tax Professionals
- e-file Forms and Publications
- News & Updates
- e-Programs Customer Service
- Individual e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Individual e-file Calendar
- Fiduciary e-file
- Fiduciary e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- Fiduciary e-file Calendar
- e-file Enrollment Requirements
- Paperless Schedules K-1
- Business e-file
- Business e-file Frequently Asked Questions
- 100/100S/100W e-file Calendar
- 199 e-file Calendar
- 565/568 e-file Calendar
- Software Developers/Transmitters