Entity Status Letter
Free! Check the status of an entity and print an entity status letter.
An entity status letter shows whether or not a business entity is in good standing with us and provides certification to use for:
- Legal status in court proceedings.
- An outstanding liability that could have an effect on an entity's credit rating (e.g., the closing of escrow).
- Verification of an exempt status.
- Registering a corporation or LLC to transact business in another state.
It only contains public information and does not reflect the entity's status with other agencies.
Types of entities
You can request an entity status letter for the following:
- Exempt organizations
- Financial institutions
- Limited liability companies (taxed as corporations, partnerships, or disregarded entities)
For other types of entities, get a Certificate of Status from the California Secretary of State for a fee.
Before you begin
You will need the following: