Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Court-Ordered Debt (COD) - Payment Options


Expedite the release of a suspended CA driver license

Western Union is the only payment option COD offers to expedite the release.
If you have any other referring court-ordered liabilities they must also be paid.

To expedite the release:

  1. Call the referring office that placed the hold on your driver license and ask:

    “Does your office accept Western Union payment in full through COD to expedite the release of my license?” 

  2. If the answer is yes, then pay your COD account in full through Western Union and provide COD with the Western Union Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN).
  3. If the answer is no, ask the referring office if they accept other payment options to expedite the release.

Western Union

This service charges a fee.

  1. Go to Western Union - Send Money to pay online, in person, or by phone.
    • Check Pay A Bill box
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Company name: CA Franchise Tax Board
      • City code (no spaces): FranchiseTaxBoard
    • Account number: Enter account number
    • Attention: Court-Ordered Debt
    • Amount: Enter payment amount
    • Speed: Check Urgent box
  2. Once payment is complete, Western Union will give you a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN).
  3. Call COD at 916.845.4064 and provide your MTCN to verify payment.

Web Pay

Login to My COD Account, and go to Pay Now.

Have the following information ready:

  • Your COD account number
  • Billing number on your COD notice
  • Bank account holder last name
  • Checking or savings account number and routing number

Credit Card

This service charges a fee.

Have the following information ready:

  • Jurisdiction Code: 1584
  • Payment type: Court-Ordered Debt Payment
  • Your COD account number
  • Billing number on your COD notice

Pay online: Go to Official Payments – Make a Payment and select State Payments.

Pay by phone: Call 800.272.9829 and select option 2 State Payments.

Franchise Tax Board Field Offices do not accept credit card payments.

Check, Money Order, or Cashier’s Check

  • Pay to Court-Ordered Debt Collections.
  • Write your full name, account number, and billing number on your payment.
  • Mail your payment and the top portion of your notice to:

Court-Ordered Debt Collections
Franchise Tax Board
PO BOX 1328
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-1328