Reporting Income Tax Fraud - Frequently Asked Questions
- What type of information should I provide when reporting a possible fraudulent activity?
Please include the following details if available:
- Individual/business name
- Individual/business address
- Marital status
- Spouse's/RDP's name
- Alleged tax violation
- How you became aware of the alleged violation
- Availability of supporting documents
- Asset information (vehicles, property, etc.)
- Your contact information (optional)
- Can the person I am reporting find out my identity?
No. We treat any information you provide as confidential unless compelled by law to do otherwise.
- After I provide information to FTB, can I receive updates on the investigation?
No. Privacy and disclosure laws prohibit FTB from sharing information whether action is taken or not.
- If FTB uses the information I provide to collect more taxes, will I receive a reward?
No. FTB does not pay rewards for informant information.
- How do I know if you received my online referral report?
If your submission is successful, you will receive a confirmation window with a reference number. Keep the number or print the confirmation page.
- How do I modify information on a report I previously submitted?
If you need to provide additional information or wish to correct previous information, submit another report. On the second report, select the "Additional Information" box at the beginning of the report, and enter your referral number or the name of the person or business you reported.
- Where do I send supporting documents?
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 1565
RANCHO CORDOVA CA 95741
Please include your referral number at the top of the first page, if applicable.
Help us improve our website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later