Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Pay by Credit Card for Individuals


American Express, Discover/NOVUS, MasterCard, and Visa Card Logos

It's easy and convenient to pay your personal income tax bill by credit card. You can use your Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express Card to:

  • Pay the balance due on your current-year tax return.
  • Make an extension payment (Form FTB 3519).
  • Make an estimated tax payment (Form 540-ES).
  • Pay any amount owed for prior years.
  • Pay any bill you receive from us that includes an insert about credit card payments.

Caution: You cannot use a credit card to pay an amended tax return or a liability that is still pending based on a Notice of Proposed Assessment or Notice of Action.

Have your complete payment information on hand when you are ready to make your payment. You can pay online or by phone:

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is there a fee?

    Yes. Official Payments Corporation charges a convenience fee for this service. The fee is based on the amount of your tax payment as follows:

    • 2.3% of the tax amount charged (rounded to the nearest cent)
    • Minimum fee: $1
    • Example of fee:

      Tax Payment = $753.56
      Convenience Fee = $17.33

    Official Payments Corporation will tell you your fee before you complete your credit card transaction. You can decide whether or not to complete the transaction at that time.

  • What payment information will I need?

    You will need:

    • The type of payment you're making (e.g., tax return, extension, estimated tax, or bill).
    • Your social security number (and your spouse/RDP's number if you're making a joint payment).
    • Your credit card number and expiration date.

  • When will my payment be effective?

    Your payment is effective on the date you charge it.

  • What if I change my mind after I made the charge?

    If you pay your taxes by credit card and later reverse the credit card transaction, you may be subject to penalties, interest, and other fees imposed by the Franchise Tax Board for nonpayment or late payment of taxes. If you overpay, we will issue you a refund.

Chat with an FTB Representative