Public Meeting Agenda
Franchise Tax Board Meeting
Monday, November 17, 1997 - 2:00 p.m.
State Board of Equalization
450 N Street, Room 121*
Item 1. Approval of Minutes
Approval of Minutes of July 21, 1997 Board meeting. Board action.
This annual hearing is held to allow industry representatives and individual taxpayers to present proposals on changes to existing state franchise and income tax law. Possible Board action.
Item 3. Legislative Matters
Staff discussion and recommendation on legislative proposals for 1998. Board action.
Item 4. Regulation Matters
- Staff report regarding Proposed Homeowners and Renters Assistance regulations to implement the federal Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act of 1996. Possible Board action.
- Staff report on draft proposed regulation Sections 25128, 25128-1 and 25128-2 regarding double weighting the sales factor and extractive and agriculture business activity.
- Staff report on Multistate Tax Commissions uniformity recommendation regarding amendment of Regulation IV.18(c) to include net gains from the sale of certain intangibles in the sales factor of the apportionment formula. Board action.
Item 5. Waters Edge White Paper
Staff presentation regarding Waters-Edge White Paper. Possible Board action.
Item 6. Applications for Voluntary Disclosure
Board consideration of staff recommendations regarding Applications for Voluntary Disclosure filed pursuant to Revenue and Taxation Code Section 19191. Possible Board action.
Item 7. Franchise Tax Board Response Time to Telephone Inquiries
Staff report on response time to telephone inquiries to the department. Possible Board action.
Item 8. Internet Freedom Act
Staff presentation and Board discussion regarding proposed changes to the Internet Freedom Act. Possible Board action.
Item 9. Health Care Corporations
Staff presentation and Board discussion regarding health care corporations. Possible Board action.
Item 10. Federation of Tax Administrators Member Fees
Staff report and Board discussion regarding Federation of Tax Administrators member fees.
Item 11. Executive Officers Time
- Executive Officers Performance Evaluation Report. Possible Board action.
- Franchise Tax Board 1998/99 fiscal year summary of Budget Change Proposals. Possible Board action.
- Resolution regarding Israel Rogers retirement. Board action.
Item 12. Board Members Time
Closed session to consider recommendations regarding settlement of administrative tax disputes required to be in closed session by Section 19442 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.
Closed session to approve recommended settlement in two litigation cases. Government Code Sections 11126(e)(1) and 11126.3(a).
Closed session to consider a staff recommendation to approve a Closing Agreement involving confidential tax information. Government Code Section 11126(c)(11).
Closed session regarding appointment of Chief Counsel. Government Code Section11126(a)(1).