Understanding Your State Taxes
Welcome to the Understanding Your State Taxes training program. The Franchise Tax Board developed this computer based training (CBT) to provide senior high school students with the information they need to fill out a California 540A tax return.
This course is a self-paced training opportunity that contains a pre-test, five lessons, and a post-test.
The course is available for your use free of charge. Feel free to copy the course to CDs.
We have compressed the course into a ZIP file. After you download the ZIP file, you will need to use a decompression software to "unzip" it. Search the web for “unzip software” to find a list of programs.
The following instructions are for Internet Explorer 5.x browsers. However, since most web browsers operate in a similar manner, the basic concepts can be used for all browsers.
- Download the ZIP file.
- Place your cursor on this link and right click. Select "Save Target As...."
- A "Save As" dialog box will appear.
- From the dialog box, select the folder in which you wish to save the file.
- Select "Save."
- Go to the folder where you saved the ZIP file.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file.
- Double click Intro.htm to open it and
- Ensure the display properties settings is "Normal" 96 DPI setting.
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later