Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Liens - Notice of State Tax Lien

How to resolve

Pay your balance and get your lien released

To get a lien released, pay the total tax liability (including any penalties and accrued interest) for the tax years represented on the lien.

View payment options

In a real estate transaction? Your escrow, title, or mortgage company will need to submit an eDemand Lien Payoff Request.

Remove a lien from your credit bureau report

You must contact the credit bureau agencies directly to modify or to remove a lien from your credit bureau report.

Lien filed in error

If we file or record a lien in error, we will:

  • Release a lien as filed in error to the applicable county recorder’s office or California Secretary of State.
  • Notify the credit bureau agencies and ask them to remove the lien from your credit bureau report.

Get a copy of a lien or release of lien

Contact the county where the lien was recorded or released.


If you filed bankruptcy, contact us immediately by phone 916.845.4750 or fax 916.845.9799.

Chat with an FTB Representative