Skip to Main Content

How do I get a copy of my state tax return?

You may be able to obtain a free copy of your California tax return. Go to MyFTB for information on how to register for your account.

You may also request a copy of your California tax return by submitting a Request for Copy of Income Tax or Fiduciary Return Form FTB 3516 or by submitting your request on plain paper and provide the following:

  • Your Name (and Spouse if joint return)
  • Social security numbers
  • Telephone number including area code
  • Current address
  • Address shown on last return filed
  • Tax year or years of returns requested
  • Your signature. If you filed jointly, either spouse may sign.

Send your request to:

PO BOX 1570

There is a $20.00 fee for each tax return year you request. There is no charge for a copy of your return if you are requesting a return for a tax year in which you were the victim of a designated California state or federal disaster.

Include a check or money order for the total amount due, made out to the Franchise Tax Board. It may take up to four weeks from the date of your request to receive a copy of your return.

Is there something wrong with this page?

Help us improve our website

Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.

Chat with an FTB Representative