Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Can my child take a personal exemption credit when I claim her or him as a dependent on my return?


Your child cannot claim a personal exemption credit on his or her return if you, or anyone else, is entitled to claim the child as a dependent. Even if you choose not to claim the child, he or she would still not be allowed to claim a personal exemption credit.

Chat with an FTB Representative