Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

You didn't give me credit for my dependent. What do I do?


You may not have received a dependent exemption credit for your child because you did not list your child as a dependent on your return. If your dependent exemption credit was reduced or denied for this reason, you need to provide the name and relationship of the dependent.

You cannot claim yourself or your spouse as a dependent. If you did so, you over claimed your dependent credit and our notice is correct.

Visit our Tax Assistance Page for information on how to contact us about resolving your dependent credit discrepancies.

Chat with an FTB Representative