Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

My spouse passed away. You sent a refund with both our names on it. What do I do?


Take the check and a copy of the death certificate to your bank and try to cash or deposit it.

If your bank will not accept the refund check, call 800.852.5711 and select option 1 for Personal Income Tax, press 6 for other information, then press 2 for general tax questions and to speak with a Representative. We will send you a letter, which authorizes the bank to accept the check. Take our letter, the check and a copy of the death certificate to the bank. If your bank still will not accept the check, you will need to return it to the Franchise Tax Board. Send a letter, along with the uncashed check and a copy of the death certificate, asking for the check to be issued in your name only.

Mail your request to:

Franchise Tax Board
P.O. Box 942840
Sacramento CA 94240-0040

Please allow 4 weeks from the date of your letter to receive the new refund check.

Chat with an FTB Representative