Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

I sold my personal residence. How do I report the sale to California?

You must report the sale of your principal residence if you have a gain and do not qualify to exclude all of it, or you choose not to take the exclusion.  When you complete your federal tax return, you must complete federal Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses.  A copy of your federal return, and all the supporting schedules must be attached to your California return.  Generally, your California gain is the same as federal, so no adjustment is required on your California return. However, if your California basis in the home differs from your federal basis, complete California Schedule D, California Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment.

Chat with an FTB Representative