Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

I did not live in California. Do I have to file a return?


You are required to file a Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Long or Short Form 540NR) with California if you have income from California sources, such as rental income, income from the sale of property, or partnership income in 2015 and you are:

  • Single with a total income from all sources of $16,256 or more
  • Married with joint income from all sources of $32,514 or more

Get more information for nonresidents.

Chat with an FTB Representative