Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Should I file my return even though I do not have the money to pay?


If you owe, but cannot pay your taxes by the due date, you must still file your return on time and pay as much as you can. Although there are penalties for late payment of tax, the penalty for late filing of the return is usually higher.

After your return is processed, the Franchise Tax Board will send you a bill including penalties and interest. Please do not send a copy of your tax return with your payments. Be sure to include your social security number and tax year on your check or money order.

If you are unable to pay the balance in full by the due date on your notice, you must complete a Request for Installment Agreement, FTB 3567

You may also request an Installment Agreement online if you:

  • Owe a balance of $10,000 or less.
  • Agree to pay your account in 36 months or less.
  • Have filed all required personal income tax returns.
  • Agree to pay by electronic funds transfer.
  • Make monthly payments of $25.00 or more.
  • File all future tax returns on time.
  • Pay all future tax balances when they are due.

Check your current balance and verify payments.

Chat with an FTB Representative