Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Nonrefundable Renter's Credit


If you pay rent and have a personal income tax liability, you may be able to use the Nonrefundable Renter's Credit to reduce your tax.


You must meet all of the following to qualify:

  1. You were a California resident for the entire year.
  2. Your California adjusted gross income (AGI) is:
    • $38,259 or less if your filing status is single or married/RDP filing separately.
    • $76,518 or less if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er).
  3. You paid rent for at least half the year for property in California that was your principal residence.
  4. The property you rented was not exempt from California property tax.
  5. You did not live with another person for more than half the year (such as a parent) who claimed you as a dependent.
  6. You were not a minor living with and under the care of a parent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
  7. You or your spouse/RDP was not granted a homeowner's property tax exemption during the tax year.
    • You may still qualify for the credit if your spouse/RDP claimed a homeowner's exemption and you maintained a separate residence for the entire year.

Credit amount

  • $60 for single or married/RDP filing separately
  • $120 for head of household, widow(er), married/RDP  filing jointly
Chat with an FTB Representative