Skip to Main Content

How Can I Get an Extension to File?


You automatically receive an extension to file through October 16.

If you can't file by April 18:

  • Refund — File your return by October 16. Choose e-file and direct deposit for the fastest refund.
  • Balance due — Pay the amount you owe by April 18 to avoid penalties and interest. You can pay online, by credit card, or by check with Form FTB 3519. Then file your return by October 16. Choose e-file to ensure we receive your return on time.
  • Not sure if you have a balance due? — Use the worksheet on form FTB 3519 to figure your tax.

Extension for federal returns: Go to for information about the process and dates to request an extension to file your federal return.

Help Us Improve Our Website

Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.

Thank you for your help.

If you need assistance, contact us.

Oops! Something went wrong.

We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later

Chat with an FTB Representative