Individual Status Letter
FTB 4148, Individual Status Letter, does the following:
- Helps you get student loans or VA financing.
- Shows lenders and third parties, such as employers, that you have no outstanding California Income Tax obligations.
We can provide a letter only after the original due date for the current year return.
For example, we will only provide a letter for the 2017 tax year after April 18, 2018.
Get a letter
You can get a letter for:
- A minor child under age 18
- An individual over age 18
- Another individual
How to get a letter
- 800.852.5711 from within the United States
- 916.845.6500 from outside the United States
California Relay Service
711 or 800.735.2929
TTY (Device to Device)
Items you need when you visit a field office
- Social Security card.
- Valid photo identification.
- The individual’s birth certificate:
- If you are a parent and the individual is either over or under age 18.
- The individual’s signed statement that authorizes us to release information on their behalf if:
- The individual is over age 18.
- You are the individual’s authorized representative.
We accept copies of Social Security cards, birth certificates, and photo identifications.
Help Us Improve Our Website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later
Last Updated: 01/11/2018