Skip to Main Content
State of California Franchise Tax Board

Individual Status Letter


FTB 4148, Individual Status Letter, does the following:

  • Helps you get student loans or VA financing.
  • Shows lenders and third parties, such as employers, that you have no outstanding California Income Tax obligations.

We can provide a letter only after the original due date for the current year return.

For example, we will only provide a letter for the 2015 tax year after April 18, 2016.

Get a letter

You can get a letter for:

  • Yourself
  • A minor child under age 18
  • An individual over age 18
  • Another individual

How to get a letter

Contact information

  • 800.852.5711 from within the United States
  • 916.845.6500 from outside the United States
  • 800.822.6268 for persons with hearing or speech impairments

Items you need when you visit a field office

  • Social Security card.
  • Valid photo identification.
  • The individual’s birth certificate:
    • If you are a parent and the individual is either over or under age 18.
  • The individual’s signed statement that authorizes us to release information on their behalf if:
    • The individual is over age 18.
    • You are the individual’s authorized representative.

We accept copies of Social Security cards, birth certificates, and photo identifications.

Chat with an FTB Representative