Individual Status Letter
FTB 4148, Individual Status Letter, does the following:
- Helps you get student loans or VA financing.
- Shows lenders and third parties, such as employers, that you have no outstanding California Income Tax obligations.
We can provide a letter only after the original due date for the current year return.
For example, we will only provide a letter for the 2015 tax year after April 15, 2016.
Get a letter
You can get a letter for:
- A minor child under age 18
- An individual over age 18
- Another individual
How to get a letter
- 800.852.5711 from within the United States
- 916.845.6500 from outside the United States
- 800.822.6268 for persons with hearing or speech impairments
Items you need when you visit a field office
- Social Security card.
- Valid photo identification.
- The individual’s birth certificate:
- If you are a parent and the individual is either over or under age 18.
- The individual’s signed statement that authorizes us to release information on their behalf if:
- The individual is over age 18.
- You are the individual’s authorized representative.
We accept copies of Social Security cards, birth certificates, and photo identifications.