Withholding on Wages, Other Income, and Garnishments
Adjust your withholding to make sure that you have the right amount of state or federal income tax withheld from your pay.
Withholding on income from other sources
The following situations also create a requirement for withholding:
- Withholding on California source income - For additional information, forms, and publications.
- Tribal withholding - Voluntary California resident withholding on tribal members’ per capita income.
Backup withholding - Payers performing federal backup withholding must also withhold and remit 7 percent of a reportable payment to us.
Wage garnishment / Earnings withholding order
When there is a delinquent balance, we may garnish the income owed to you by an employer or for a contracted service. Delinquent balances include taxes, penalties, fees, and interest, as well as non-tax debts owed to other government agencies and courts.
- Individuals - Wage garnishment
- Calculator for withholding wages
- Employers - Tax debt
- Court-Ordered debt
- Vehicle registration debt
Withholding administered by other agencies
- Employment Development Department (EDD) - An employee is subject to the wage withholding provisions administered by EDD.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Questions related to the Internal Revenue Code and federal taxes are administered by the IRS.
Help us improve our website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later