Third Party Designee
New Third Party Designee Checkbox
For taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2008, you can now authorize a third party designee directly on your tax return. This new feature allows your designee to discuss information with the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) needed to:
- Process your current year tax return.
- Inquire about the status of your refund or payments you made.
- Respond to FTB notices about math errors, offsets, and return preparation.
Your designee may also request copies of notices for the authorized tax year.
Third Party Designee Selection
You can select any third party, including friends or family, to assist you in resolving return processing and refund/payment issues. You are NOT authorizing your designee to:
- Discuss any other tax year.
- Receive any refund checks.
- Bind you to anything (including additional tax liabilities).
- Otherwise represent you before FTB.
Authorizing a Third Party Designee
Complete the Third Party Designee Authorization directly on your tax return by entering your designee’s name and telephone number in the space provided below your signature. Your authorization automatically ends no later than the due date (without regard to extensions) for filing next year’s return. If you want to revoke your authorization before it ends, you must notify us by calling 800.852.5711, or write to us at:
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0040