Working at FTB
As one of the largest state tax agencies in the country, we are a nationally respected institution known for a high level of professionalism and innovative leadership in the field of state tax policy and administration. We generate over $60 billion annually and contribute to more than 65 percent of the state's General Fund revenues. We employ over 5800 permanent and 2000 seasonal and intermittent employees nationwide. . .
We are responsible for administering:
- Personal Income Tax
- Business Entity Tax
- Non-Tax Debt Collections programs (Vehicle Registration Collections, Court-Ordered Debt and Industrial Health and Safety)
We are headquartered in Sacramento and have offices in San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Van Nuys, West Covina, and San Diego. Our audit offices outside of California are in Houston, Chicago, and Manhattan.
The purpose of the Franchise Tax Board is to collect the proper amount of tax revenue, and operate other programs entrusted to us, at the least cost; serve the public by continually improving the quality of our products and services; and perform in a manner warranting the highest degree of public confidence in our integrity, efficiency and fairness.
As an employee, you are an integral part of an organization that values its team members, values their integrity, and maintains a genuine commitment to quality. You are also part of a team where the vision of the future is clear and shared with all team members.
Our shared values are at the core of all business decisions and actions. They are:
- Accountability: We are accountable for being efficient and providing quality products and services to our customers.
- Communication: We listen and communicate openly, promptly and accurately to keep each other and our customers informed.
- Enterprise Thinking: We make decisions that take the entire organization into consideration.
- Individuality: We value a diverse workforce and the unique opinions and contributions of others.
- Innovation: We are flexible, think outside the box, and embrace change in an innovative and creative manner.
- Integrity: We treat each other and our customers with fairness, honesty, and respect.
- Leadership: When we lead, we communicate expectations clearly, trust each other to get the job done, and help employees reach their goals.
- Teamwork: We work in a team environment to strengthen our organization, achieve our business goals, and build cooperative working relationships.
Our Sense of Community
- We support our employees and their families in times of need through fundraisers and leave - hour donations from fellow employees.
- Schools Partnership/Mentor Program - Our employees mentor and tutor students at our partnership schools. The Schools Partnership Program also offers work experience opportunities for high school students.
- California State Employees Charitable Campaign - We play a major role in the success of this campaign. Our contributions are distributed to various agencies throughout California.
- Annual Food Drive - Recognized as one of the largest food drives in the region, we have participated in the California State Employees Food drive for 33 consecutive years.
- Blood Drives - We host six blood drives throughout the year. FTB is the largest state agency donor in the Sacramento area.
FTB Quick Facts
- We process over 30 million pieces of mail annually. We key an average of 120,000 tax returns and scan over 100,000 documents per day during our peak-filing season in April.
- In 2005, 8.2 million California returns were filed electronically, or 56 percent of the total. On tax day April 2005, we recorded daily deposits totaling $1.1 billion.
- Government officials from Australia, Bulgaria, China, and New Zealand toured our offices to see how our agency operates.
- In 2006, we received the Federation of Tax Administrators' 2006 Leon Rothenberg Award for Taxpayer Service and Education for our ReadyReturn program.
- In 2006, the California State Information Officers Council presented us with multiple awards for our newsletters, brochures, graphics, audio-visual, direct mailers, and slogans. Our Website received its second Gold Award for its redesign.
- The Center for Digital Government recognized us for outstanding information technology innovation for our Integrated Nonfiler Compliance (INC) program and separately, for the development of our abusive tax shelter program.