Working at FTB
As one of the largest state tax agencies in the country, we are a nationally respected institution known for a high level of professionalism and innovative leadership in the field of state tax policy and administration. We generate over $60 billion annually and contribute to more than 70 percent of the state's General Fund revenues. On average, we employ over 5000 permanent and 1200 seasonal and intermittent employees nationwide.
We are responsible for administering:
- Personal Income Tax
- Business Entity Tax
- Non-Tax Debt Collections programs (Vehicle Registration Collections and Court-Ordered Debt)
We are headquartered in Sacramento and have offices in San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Van Nuys, West Covina, and San Diego. Our audit offices outside of California are in Houston, Chicago, and Manhattan.
The purpose of the Franchise Tax Board is to collect the proper amount of tax revenue, and operate other programs entrusted to us, at the least cost; serve the public by continually improving the quality of our products and services; and perform in a manner warranting the highest degree of public confidence in our integrity, efficiency and fairness.
As an employee, you are an integral part of an organization that values its team members, values their integrity, and maintains a genuine commitment to quality. You are also part of a team where the vision of the future is clear and shared with all team members.
Our shared organizational values are at the core of all business decisions and actions. They are:
- Lead with Integrity and Inspiration - As inspirational leaders, we are committed to pursue the right path, ignite ideas and innovation, communicate clear expectations, and invite everyone to optimistically maximize their potential every day.
- Bring Our Best - By bringing our best we exemplify honesty, credibility, and accountability. We value staff and encourage them to bring their best every day.
- Deliver Excellent Products and Services - Quality is best achieved through collaboration with our customers and each other. We deliver excellent products and services that meet the needs of our customers.
- Contribute to a Caring Community - We encourage mutual respect, kindness, and teamwork. This creates a supportive work environment that appreciates diversity and allows all of us to flourish in the community we work and live in.
- Become Experts at What We Do - We are motivated to continually improve and grow. We take advantage of tools and opportunities to develop in our chosen career path.
Our Sense of Community
- We support our employees and their families in times of need through fundraisers and leave - hour donations from fellow employees.
- Our Promise Campaign - We play a major role in the success of this state employees’ charitable giving campaign. Our contributions are distributed to various nonprofit agencies throughout California, nationally, and globally.
- Annual Food Drive - Recognized as one of the largest food drives in the region, we have participated in the State Employees' Food Drive since 1972.
- Blood Drives - We host six blood drives throughout the year. FTB is the largest state agency donor in the Sacramento area.
FTB Quick Facts
- As of November 14, 2015, 14.7 million California returns were filed electronically, or 80 percent of the total. On tax day April 2015, we recorded daily deposits totaling $1.7 billion.
- In 2005, 8.2 million California returns were filed electronically, or 56 percent of the total. On tax day April 2005, we recorded daily deposits totaling $1.1 billion.
- Government officials from Australia, Bulgaria, China, and New Zealand toured our offices to see how our agency operates.
- In June 2014, the Public Sector Partners presented Franchise Tax Board’s (FTB) Executive Officer Selvi Stanislaus with their Public Sector Partners’ Project Leadership Award, in June 2014. The award recognized Selvi for her role in leading our Enterprise Data to Revenue (EDR) Project. In presenting the award, California Department of Technology Director, Carlos Ramos, said, “FTB – under Selvi’s leadership - is one of those agencies that sets an example that the rest of the State could learn from when it comes to running IT projects.”
- In August 2013, the California’s state government tax agencies – the Franchise Tax Board (FTB), the Board of Equalization (BOE) and the Employment Development Department (EDD) won the 2013 Best IT Collaboration Among Organizations Project Excellence Award. The team won for their role in creating the Financial Institution Records Match (FIRM), a less costly, more efficient tax and non-tax debt collection program.
- In 2012, the Center for Digital Government awarded FTB with the Best of California 2012 Award – Best Application Serving the Public. The MyFTB application provides an online system for California business taxpayers and tax representatives to access account information and self–service tools. This service helps reduce calls to the Franchise Tax Board by 77 percent and allows callers with more complex tax problems access to services that result in more accurate tax returns.
Help us improve our website
Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.
Thank you for your help.
If you need assistance, contact us.
Oops! Something went wrong.
We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later