Student Assistant and Seasonal Positions
- If you are a college or technical school student, our Student Assistant Program is an unbeatable opportunity to learn more about your chosen career path. Apply your college courses to real-life scenarios.
- Receive on-the-job training for professional development and increasing your business world knowledge.
- Enjoy flexible work hours that accommodate your college schedule. Work approximately 20-25 hours per week during the school year and full-time during your school break. Salaries range from $8.41 to $11.19 per hour, based on your standing in college or previous work experience in California state service.
To qualify for a student assistant position, you must:
- Be continuously enrolled in college,
- Maintain at least six units per semester, and
- Have a 2.0 minimum grade point average
We typically hire 200–300 seasonal clerks during the month of January to help us during our peak-filing season. Many current employees began their careers as seasonal clerks! Some worked for us before, during, or after their college years and are now employed in operations, as senior auditors, and senior tax lawyers! Seasonal clerks carry out a variety of assignments and duties as follows:
- Open and review correspondence
- Analyze and correct taxpayer return information
- Respond to basic taxpayer contacts
- Provide records management services
- Provide basic information technology support
- Train in audit and collection support
- Provide computer support
To qualify for a seasonal clerk position you must be able to:
- Read, write and speak English,
- Do simple clerical work,
- Follow directions, and
- Pass a background investigation.
Note: If you receive public assistance under "CalWorks Program" or "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)" you will be given priority status. Make sure your employment application includes a letter from the County Welfare Department verifying your public assistance status.