Skip to Main Content

Form 540A Discontinued for Tax Years 2013 and After

Starting tax years 2013 and after, we will discontinue Form 540A, California Resident Income Tax Return. You will need to use another type of tax form to file your state income tax return.

File online

CalFile is a convenient and secure way to file online (e-file) your state income tax return directly with us for free. Find out if you qualify.

CalFile is able to:

  • Pre-fill your tax return with general information, such as your name, address, and even some of your Form W-2 information.
  • Save your partially-completed tax return so you can finish it at your convenience.
  • Send you an instant email confirmation that we received your tax return.

All online filing options

Which tax form do I use?

If you file online (e-file) or use tax preparation software, the appropriate tax form is automatically selected for you.

If you file by paper, you will use either:

  • Form 540 2EZ - If you have taxable income up to $100,000 (single) or $200,000 (joint) and use the standard deduction.
  • Form 540 - If you itemize your deductions or have differences between state and federal income.

Refer to this chart for details: Which form should I file?

How do I get California tax forms?



Call 800.338.0505 for assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When prompted, select personal income tax, then forms and publications, and enter code:

  • 965 for 540 2EZ booklet.
  • 900 for 540 CA resident booklet.

In person

Pick up tax forms at certain post offices, libraries, and government offices. Search for a location near you.


PO BOX 307

Additional resources

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) - Free assistance to individuals with limited income and/or over the age of 60 who need help in completing simple federal and state income tax returns.

  • The VITA program specializes in assisting disabled taxpayers, those with low to limited income, and non-English speaking taxpayers.
  • The TCE program provides free income tax assistance for middle or low-income taxpayers, giving special attention to those 60 and older.
  • Assistance is generally available from February 1 through April 15.

Important reminders

  • Tax return due date: File your tax return by April 15 to avoid penalties.
  • Nonrefundable renter’s credit: If you rented your primary residence in 2013, you may qualify for the nonrefundable renter's credit. Be sure to claim this credit when you are filing your State tax return.
  • Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): A refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. To find out if you qualify, go to the Internal Revenue Services' website at - EITC or call 800.829.4477.

Is there something wrong with this page?

Help Us Improve Our Website

Don't include social security numbers or other personal/confidential information.

Feedback received: Thank you for your help.

If you need assistance, contact us.

Oops! Something went wrong.

We appreciate your feedback. Please try again later

Chat with an FTB Representative

You are leaving

We do not control the destination site and cannot accept any responsibility for its contents, links, or offers. Review the site's security and confidentiality statements before using the site.

If you have any issues or technical problems, contact that site for assistance.

Ahora está saliendo de

Nosotros no controlamos el sitio web al que se destina y no podemos aceptar ninguna responsabilidad por su contenido, enlaces, u ofertas. Revise las declaraciones de seguridad y confidencialidad del sitio antes de usar el sitio. Si tiene algún problema en general o técnico, comuníquese con ese sitio para obtener asistencia.

Si tiene algún problema en general o técnico, comuníquese con ese sitio para obtener asistencia.