Beginning January 1, 2020, all California residents must either:
- Have qualifying health insurance coverage
- Obtain an exemption from the requirement to have coverage
- Pay a penalty when they file their state tax return
You will begin reporting your health care coverage on your 2020 tax return, which you will file in the spring of 2021.
To avoid a penalty, you will need qualifying health coverage for each month beginning on January 1, 2020 for:
- Your spouse or domestic partner
- Your dependents
Many people already have qualifying health insurance coverage through:
- Employer-sponsored plans
- Coverage purchased through Covered California or directly from insurers
- Most Medicaid plans
Use this tool to estimate the penalty you may owe. Use Form 3853 to get an accurate penalty amount.